Georgia Tech Yellow Jackets vs Clemson Tigers 2019 NCAAF Week 1 Game Preview
Last season, the Clemson Tigers dismantled the Alabama Crimson Tide to take home the national title. The Tigers are the favorites to win it all again this season, which isn’t much of a surprise, given the quality of players they are returning, the presence of Dabo Swinney, and the momentum they are on right now heading into their 2019 NCAAF Week 1 game.
We’ve seen crazy things happen in college football though. Can the Georgia Tech Yellow Jackets pull off a titanic shocker right out of the gate? Nitrogen Sports Blog examines this David and Goliath showdown in this Georgia Tech vs Clemson preview.
Georgia Tech vs Clemson Week 1 game preview
When: Thursday August 29, 2019
Where: Memorial Stadium, Clemson, South Carolina
Odds: Georgia Tech (+35.5) vs Clemson (-35.5)
What to know about the Georgia Tech Yellow Jackets
- Georgia Tech’s new head coach Geoff Collins isn’t intimidated by the big spread going into their 2019 NCAAF Week 1 meeting with Clemson. Collins is more focused on his team and the “complete transformation” they’ve gone through since last year. The Yellow Jackets are expecting their offense to have much more variety after going extremely run-heavy in 2018 when they were second nationally with an 84.79 rushing play percentage. Outside of Trevor Lawrence, this shift in Georgia Tech’s offensive philosophy is arguably the most important take on any Georgia Tech vs Clemson game preview.
- Linebacker Charlie Thomas is dealing with an undisclosed injury. He is questionable to play in the opener against Clemson.
- The Yellow Jackets were ranked 27th in the nation with 33.0 points per game in 2018.
What to know about the Clemson Tigers
- Clemson is dealing with some injuries, but head coach Dabo Swinney says the Tigers should be at full power for their 2019 NCAAF Week 1 assignment. “We got a bunch of guys who are just dinged up. Still practicing.”
- Quarterback Trevor Lawrence threw for 3,280 yards with 30 touchdowns and only four interceptions in 2018.
- The last time the Tigers played Georgia Tech, Lawrence sliced the Yellow Jackets’ defense for 176 passing yards and four touchdowns in a 49-21 road win back in 2018. We’ll know this coming Thursday if that was a solid Georgia Tech vs Clemson game preview of what to come in the rematch from Lawrence.
- In that same game, tailback Travis Etienne ran circles around Georgia Tech’s defense for 122 rushing yards and a touchdown on 11 carries. Etienne is back at Clemson for his junior year.
- The Yellow Jackets have covered the spread in three of their last four games in which they were underdogs by at least 20 points.
- Clemson is 6-3-1 against the spread in their last 10 games vs. Georgia Tech.
The Yellow Jackets are the huge underdogs with Clemson expected by many to steamroll Georgia Tech — again. But will the Tigers be able to cover the spread if they do indeed beat the Yellow Jackets? We’ll just have to wait and see.
For now, you can check out other college game previews by Nitrogen Sports Blog along with a sports betting guide to get you ready for another week of wagering.