Duke Blue Devils vs Alabama Crimson Tide 2019 NCAAF Week 1 Game Preview
College football season is back and Nitrogen Sports is all over the 2019 Chick-fil-A Kickoff Game. This 2019 NCAAF Week 1 game will be played at the neutral site of Mercedes Benz Stadium in Atlanta. Alabama is looming to get back on top of the college football world and the Crimson Tide’s trek back to supremacy starts in Week 1 against Duke. Read this Duke vs Alabama game preview discussed by Nitrogen Sports Blog.
Duke vs Alabama Week 1 game preview
When: Saturday August 31, 2019
Where: Mercedes Benz Stadium, Atlanta Georgia
Odds: Duke (+34.5) vs Alabama (-34.5)
What to know about the Duke Blue Devils
- Last year Daniel Jones was under center for the Blue Devils, but Duke lost him to the NFL. The focus of this Duke vs Alabama game preview for the Blue Devils is senior Quentin Harris, who will have the reins of the Blue Devils’ offense. Although Harris could deal with growing pains, Brittain Brown and Deon Jackson give him a formidable running back duo. They could help to take some of the pressure off the passing game. On defense, the Blue Devils have a bunch of returning starters and head coach David Cutcliffe thinks this will be the best defensive unit he’s coached at Duke.
- Senior LB Koby Quansah suffered a broken thumb and his status is uncertain for this 2019 NCAAF Week 1 matchup.
- Duke’s defense allowed 427.2 yards per game and 28.6 points per game in 2018.
What to know about the Alabama Crimson Tide
- Alabama has one lofty goal every season: win the national championship. It is the only thing on the mind of head coach Nick Saban and the Crimson Tide after getting tormented by the Clemson Tigers in last season’s National Championship Game.
- Breakout candidate and linebacker Chris Allen is recovering from an ACL injury that kept out for the 2018 season. His status is in question but he may suit up for this 2019 NCAAF Week 1 game.
- Alabama ranked third in the nation with 45.3 points per game and fifth in the nation with 519.2 yards per game.
- Of course, no discussion of the Duke vs Alabama game preview is complete without the mention of Tua Tagovailoa has been a perennial Heisman Trophy candidate since taking over the starting role. Last year, he finished with 3,996 passing yards and 43 touchdowns, while only having six interceptions.
- Duke is 8-0 against the spread in their past eight games as an underdog.
- The total has hit the OVER in four of Alabama’s last five games.
The Crimson Tide have long salivated for this game. This is the game they are expected to show no mercy, as they try to recover from the bitter loss at the hands of Clemson last season. Duke knows it is the underdog, but the Blue Devils also mean business, especially with a new starter under center, as mentioned in this Duke vs Alabama game preview 2019.
The season is still early. Continue checking out Nitrogen Sports Blog for more game previews and while you’re at it, have a look at our sports betting guide, too.